There are numerous hiking trails both on the estate and in close proximity is the Dublin Way and the Wicklow Way. There are also easy hikes to the nearby Hellfire Club.
There is a plethora of activities in close proximity including golf courses such as Padraig Harrington’s home course – Stackstown Golf Course; as well as Rathfarnham Golf Course, Castle Golf Course, Grange Golf Course and Edmondston Golf Course. Within easy reach is other championship courses such as Druids’ Glen, The European, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, and The K Club.
The house has a special relationship with Rathfarnham Equestrian Centre, which provides trekking and whose horses grace the estate.
The following are all within 30 mins drive from Orlagh Country House:
Other Walking trails (beyond Orlagh)
Rathfarnham Village & Castle
Pearse Museum and St. Enda’s Park
There are walks to suit climbers of all abilities. Many of the walks are on National Forestry land and a great many have accessible carparks at the departure point. There is no need to drive for guests staying at Orlagh, as you can walk straight from the house into wilderness, without even crossing a road.
The famous Yellow House pub and restaurant lies at the foot of the Village, opposite the popular Church of the Sacred Heart.
The House “The Hermitage” was originally built by Edward Hudson, State Dentist, who signed a lease on the lands in 1786. Over a century later, Patrick Pearse discovered the house while on a historical pilgrimage of sites associated with Robert Emmet including The Priory, Rathfarnham. Set in nearly fifty acres of beautiful parkland, the museum tells the story of Patrick Pearse and his brother William, both of whom were executed for their part in the 1916 Rising.
Pearse Museum and St. Enda’s Park are operated and managed by the Office of Public Works.
The Hellfire Club
Marlay Park & House
Thomas Connolly, Speaker of the House of Commons, built the hunting lodge about the year 1720, utilising as materials stones from a large cairn which stood at the top of the hill. Shortly after it was built the slated roof was blown off one night in a violent storm. Local people believed that the roof had been blown off by the devil on account of the owner’s sacrilegious conduct in desecrating the old cairn.
The house as built had a parlour, drawing room and hall on the upper floor, each room having two large windows in front commanding a magnificent view. On the ground floor was the kitchen, off which were the servants’ quarters. The hall door was reached by a fine flight of stone steps, which were later taken away when the house fell into decay.
Legend tells of a black cat which was kept there as Satan’s representative. A young clergyman crossing the Dublin mountains at night sought refuge there during a snowstorm, believing the building to be no more than a farmhouse. Only after the door was opened by a cloaked figure brandishing a sword did he realise his dreadful mistake. On entering, he found the club members having a meal, the guest of honour being the black cat sitting at the head of the table. The clergyman, on being told the identity of the cat, endeavoured to exorcise it but the animal cried out in pain, jumped on to an overhead chandelier which fell, setting the building alight.
Ireland’s scariest destination.
Dublin County Council acquired the land in 1972 and developed it as a regional park. Opened in 1975, it is now administered by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council. Since 2000 Marlay Park has become a popular music venue with a capacity of 12,000, featuring both renowned national and international performers.
The history of the Estate can be traced back to the Anglo-Norman conquest and right through to Tudor Times when Henry VIII confiscated the lands then owned by St. Mary’s Abbey, during the suppression of the monasteries. Towards the end of the 17th century, Thomas Taylor acquired the property. He built a house on the Estate, which was called “The Grange”, and he began to farm the land. Both his son, Alderman Thomas and his grandson James Taylor, held key positions in political circles during the 1740’s, 50’s and 60’s.
Marlay Park and House
For hikers, The Wicklow Way, passes through Glendalough on its way from Rathfarnham in the north to its southerly point of Clonegal in County Carlow. For rock climbers, Glendalough’s granite cliffs, situated on the hillside above the north-western end of the valley, have been a popular rock-climbing location since the first climbs were established in 1948.
The current guidebook lists about 110 routes, at all grades up to E5/6a, with several more climbs, mainly in the high grades. The climbs vary between one and four pitches, and up to over 100m in length. The quality of the climbing along with the variety of grades attracts climbers of all standards to Glendalough. Below the crag is an extensive boulder field. This is a popular location for bouldering activities, with an extensive boulder field within easy reach of the path.
Glendalough official website
Zipit Adventure Centre
Local Pubs & Restaurants
This treetop fantasy land cover 1.8 km of treetop activities. There are five circuits for different ages, height and abilities with over 655m of ziplines, the longest of which is 135m!
You have a maximum of four hours, which is long enough to complete 3 circuits!
There are over 91 activities between platforms in the trees!
Experienced instructors will help you choose between the different degrees of difficulty.
The site is less than 2 miles from Orlagh.
Whether an adrenaline junkie or just looking to try something different, Zipit offers an experience for everyone to enjoy.
For those companies with the adventurous staff, Zipit cater for corporate parties and can tailor events to suit.
The location is so easy to reach from Orlagh or anywhere in south Dublin.
Zipit Adventure Centre, Tibradden Wood.
Less than 25 minutes away is a place of pilgrimage for beer drinkers from all around this wonderful wide world. The Guinness Storehouse is a must-see.
We truly recommend the VIP tour, where you get an intimate tour of the brewery, the history, the brewing process and the tall tales.
Pour yourself a velvety pint, let it whet your lips and you quickly realise the secret of Dublin’s reputation as one of the liveliest cities on the planet. Pure genius!
There is always the comment from tourists that the Guinness tastes better in Ireland. This is true, but not because it’s a different Guinness, it’s because here a barman traditionally did an apprenticeship of 7 years, and know what they are doing!!
Even closer is the The Merry Ploughboy Pub & Restaurant in Rockbrook, winner of the Best Dinner/Entertainment Event in Ireland in 2009, ’11, ’12, ’13, ’14 and ’16. It is the only pub owned and managed by traditional Irish musicians.
Last but not least is the The Blue Light Pub, also nestled in the Dublin Mountains, with outstanding views. This pub is an authentic drinking establishment loved by the locals. Live music on most days, it is the type of venue where Bono and some supermodels will rub shoulders with a local sheep farmer. Priceless.
Dundrum Town Centre shopping centre
Leopardstown Race Course
Dundrum Town Centre shopping centre
Slightly further away, but within 40 minutes, are courses of the quality of Killeen Castle Golf Club, K Club, Druid’s Glen Golf Club, The European, Royal Dublin, and Portmarnock.
Leopardstown Race Course
Joining in a rousing chorus of “Alive, Ah-live Oh, Alive Ah-Live Oh” is a sight to behold.
Aviva Stadium Dublin
The stadium has also played host to sold out rock concerts with a who’s who of acts from local favourites U2 to Tina Turner, Bon Jovi, Beyonce, and The Boss. However, biased as we are, watching an All Ireland Hurling Final, which perennial is usually Tipperary v. Killkenny is probably as close to sporting perfection as humans will ever come. Don’t believe us? Go see for yourself.
– Oscar Wilde